Spaghetti, It’s What’s For Dinner…..well, it’s what was for dinner….last night.
When my children were younger and picky about eating their veggies, I found an excellent way to get them to. Hide them in spaghetti sauce! I would shred carrots, or chop them small, or celery or zucchini or just about anything and put them in the sauce and my children (my son I should say) were never the wiser ?
I also have a Publishers Page on Yummly, an awesome recipe website. Feel free to browse my other recipes on my page. And, of course, please yum my recipes so they can be added to your personal recipe box on Yummly.
Here is my spaghetti sauce from scratch recipe: (keep in mind this is for two people to have about three meals from)
- 4 oz can mushrooms
- 3 mini carrots chopped small
- 33 oz can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 13 oz box whole grain thick spaghetti pasta
- 1 t sugar
- 1 lb gluten free spicy sausage (was out of ground beef, usually I do half lb each)
- 1 t rosemary
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t thyme
- 1 t basil
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- usually I would add a teaspoon of peppercorns but not with a whole pound of spicy hot sausage--don't want too much heat 🙂
- Cook meat with onions and carrots (carrots take a while to soften during cooking so that is why I add them to the meat so they get more cooking time).
- Drain grease when done.
- While meat is cooking, add all other ingredients (except pasta) in a sauce pot and simmer adding meat when it is ready.
- While sauce is simmering start the pasta. Add a 1/2 t salt and splash of oil to pot of water before adding the pasta. The oil helps the pasta not to stick together. Finish cooking according to instructions on box.
- I let my sauce simmer for about 20-30 minutes and consider it done when the pasta is done.
- Now quickly toast some English muffins and smother with butter, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese and its time to eat!